In the middle of Atlanta’s Perimeter business and shopping district, the Sandy Springs MARTA station has a lot to offer business travelers and everyday commuters. It sits at the intersection of busy Perimeter Center West/Abernathy Road and Mount Vernon Highway, and is one of the more attractive stations in the system both in looks and in function. In addition to an open layout and landscaped grounds, the station provides the option to travel to and from downtown Atlanta and the Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport without driving.
The station is underground, so not much is visible from the street except for a large parking deck that offers daily and long-term parking off of Abernathy Road (exit 5A and 5B off of Ga. 400). The train provides a direct connection to the airport until 9 p.m. After 9 p.m., the train terminates at the Lindbergh Center MARTA station and passengers are asked to exit the train and wait on the platform for the next southbound train, which typically is only a couple minutes away.
If you are arriving at the station, there are three main ways to exit: Perimeter Center West, Abernathy Road and Mt. Vernon Highway. Here’s what’s near each exit to help you plan your commute.
Perimeter Center West
You’ll find most of the destinations in the area closest to this station exit. Immediately after exiting the fare gates you’ll find:
- Connecting MARTA bus routes
- Passenger drop off or pick up area, also the best place to connect with a taxi or Uber
- Parking deck
Turn right on the sidewalk outside of the station to reach Perimeter Center West. Turn left on Perimeter Center West to reach:
- Restaurants such as La Madeline French Cafe, Zoe’s Kitchen, Wendy’s and Joey D’s Oak Room
- Perimeter Square West shopping center with stores such as REI, Goodwill and the Vitamin Shoppe
- Perimeter Square shopping center that includes TJ Maxx and Bed, Bath and Beyond
- Embassy Suites Atlanta Perimeter
- Staybridge Suites Atlanta Perimeter
- Perimeter Place (mixed-use development with restaurants and retail)
You can also cross the street at the light in front of this station exit/entrance for:
- Peachtree Dunwoody Place Apartments
- Extended Stay America
- Microtel Inn and Suites
- La Quinta Inn and Suites
Or after exiting the station, if you walk straight ahead to the parking lot and go up to the third floor, there’s a door leading to street level. Turn right and walk along the parking deck to reach the stores and restaurants above the station including:
- L.A. Fitness
- Regal Perimeter Pointe
- Restaurants such as Tilted Kilt, Chick-fil-A and Atlanta Bread
- Stores such as Five Below, Office Depot, Sports Authority, Babies R Us, Homegoods, Michaels and Stein Mart
Or walk straight out of the parking deck door and up a staggered staircase to the intersection of Abernathy and Mt. Vernon Highway. Cross over Abernathy Road/Perimeter Center West at the stoplight and continue walking straight ahead for:
- Home Depot
- Hyatt Place Atlanta Perimeter Center
Mt. Vernon Exit
Following the station signs to the Mt. Vernon Highway exit takes you through a long underground corridor that ends with a set of elevators and tall staircase leading to street level. This exit provides easiest access to:
The Abernathy exit isn’t a great deal of use to most pedestrians, as it takes you to a side of the street with few attractions.