MARTA is consistently ranked as the safest public transportation system in the country. More often than not, crime is more of an issue outside the stations than on the system itself. Even so, there are some basic safety tips you can follow to increase your safety while riding MARTA.
1. Sit near the train or bus operator
2. Wait on the train platform near other people
3. Stand inside or just outside the train station if you are waiting on a bus
4. Don’t be flashy with electronics (including cell phones) or clothing
5. Travel during the day or at peak times (weekday rush hour)
6. Use more caution on Friday and Saturday nights
7. Use more caution in and around stations on the south and west line
8. Do not compromise your safety to protect property
9. If you feel uncomfortable with the people around you in a rail car, change to a different one at the next MARTA station.
10. Report any suspicious activity immediately to a MARTA Police officer or talk to a staff member who will contact police. MARTA Police can be reached by dialing 404-848-4911 or via text at 404-334-5355.