The Atlanta BeltLine Lantern Parade is a popular city event with homemade lanterns that light up the night sky. Free and open to the public, the parade travels the length of the Eastside Trail, starting at the intersection of Irwin and Krog Streets near Krog Street Market and ending at Park Tavern in Piedmont Park.
Things to Know
- There is limited parking around the start and end of the parade route, so it is a good idea to walk, bike or take MARTA to the event. If needed, Ponce City Market is next to the trail and has parking for a small fee.
- The walk from MARTA is 20 minutes to the start of the parade and about the same to get back to MARTA at the end of the parade route.
- Uber or Lyft are also great options for getting to the event to avoid parking hassles.
Some of the popular BeltLine Trail access points are at 10th and Monroe, Virginia Highland at Ponce de Leon Place and Greenwood Avenue, on Ralph McGill Avenue and via Old Fourth Ward Park. For those traveling from the Midtown area, use Piedmont Park or the 10th Street bike path to reach the BeltLine.
The PATH Stone Mountain Trail and the Edgewood Avenue bike lane are additional options to get to the start of the parade. The PATH has a spur near the Carter Center that connects with the BeltLine and is great for those traveling from downtown, Old Fourth Ward, Little 5 Points or Candler Park.
If on the Edgewood bike path, you exit to the BeltLine on the bridge.
- The Inman Park MARTA station is closest to the start the parade. Take a blue or green line train to the station and follow the signs pointing to Inman Park after exiting the fare gate.
- At street level, walk straight ahead past the bus bay to enter Edgewood Avenue and walk about four blocks to Krog Street and turn right.
- Once on Krog, walk another two blocks to reach the line up for the parade where the BeltlLine intersects with Irwin Street. Total walking time is about 20 minutes (see map) or bring your bike with you on MARTA to speed up the commute.
You can also board bus 2 at the North Avenue or Decatur stations or 102 at the North Avenue and Candler Park stations and exit at Ponce City Market. Enter the building and go up one level to reach the BeltLine. Turn right on the trail to reach the parade start or hang at the Ponce City Market Shed for a prime view of the parade. Note: don’t attempt walking against the parade once it has started.
At the end of the night, the parade ends closest to the Midtown MARTA station — just walk west on 10th Street toward the skyline. Note that trains are every 20 minutes after 8:30 p.m. Use the MARTA on the Go app for real-time train arrivals.