Virginia Highland is one of the more popular neighborhoods in Atlanta, full of walkable restaurants, bars and nightlife/music venues. It is equally distant from the Midtown MARTA station on the red/gold line and the Inman Park MARTA station on the blue/green line, but requires a bus ride unless you want to walk 30 minutes from the closest station.
There are several commute options for getting to the neighborhood:
- From Midtown: Turn right on 10th Street from the main Midtown Station exit and walk until the road dead ends at Monroe Drive. Turn right on Monroe then a quick left on Virginia Avenue, which goes up a steep hill. Walk another 15 minutes to reach the commercial district. Total walking time is about 30 minutes.
- From Inman Park: Exit the station via the signs pointing to Inman Park and at street level turn right and walk to the PATH sidewalk next to the parking lot fence. Take the PATH to North Highland Avenue and turn right (second street). Walk about 15 minutes to reach Ponce de Leon Avenue, the start of the neighborhood.
Bikers can also use BeltLine Eastside Trail near the Inman Park station for a flatter and car-protected commute.
MARTA + Uber/Lyft
If you don’t want to walk, the better option is to request an Uber or Lyft car from the Midtown or Inman Park station for the least expensive ride.
It is free to ride the bus if you’re transferring from the train. There are four options:
- Bus 816 departs from the Five Points station. This is a great route that leaves from downtown and travel up North Highland Avenue. It includes stops in Poncey Highlands as well as restaurants north of Virginia Avenue.
- Bus 36 is a more common choice. This route departs from the Midtown and Decatur stations and travels to Piedmont Park as well as the center of the Virginia Highland neighborhood.
- Bus 2 departs from North Avenue and East Lake station and travels down Ponce de Leon Avenue. Exit at Ponce and North Highland Avenue by the Plaza Theatre. The bus stop is near some of the neighborhood bars including Neighbor’s, Hand and Hand, Atkins Park and the Righteous Room.
- Bus 102 departs from the North Avenue and Candler Park stations and also stops at Ponce and N. Highland.
For real-time bus locations and schedules, download the MARTA on the Go app or look up route information online.