The BeltLine is Atlanta’s rail to trail/transit project that circles intown Atlanta neighborhoods using a former rail bed. Long range plans include paved trails and a light rail system, with the the first trail, the Eastside Trail, up and running from Piedmont Park south to Irwin Street in the Inman Park/Old Fourth Ward neighborhood.
MARTA currently crosses this trail in several places. Choose from:
- King Memorial Station – at street level turn right and walk about two blocks along Dekalb Avenue. An unpaved portion of the trail is located next to an apartment building on the left side of the street.
- Five Points and Candler Park Stations – board bus 3 on weekdays to reach the Eastside Trail in the Inman Park neighborhood. If getting on the bus at Five Points, make sure the destination of the bus is to the Candler Park Station. The bus will literally go over the trail. Look for the old cement tower as a landmark.
- North Avenue, Candler Park and Decatur Stations – board bus 2 to connect with the Eastside Trail at Ponce de Leon Avenue and Ponce City Market. The bus travels underneath the rail bed and a new pedestrian ramp will be created there. Exit by the huge brick building at the stoplight (across the street is Whole Foods/Home Depot). Trail can be accessed via the Kroger parking lot currently or behind Paris on Ponce on Ponce de Leon Place.
- Midtown Station – Bus 36 and 99 have stops next to the Eastside Trail, which runs along Park Tavern and Piedmont Park. Exit around 10th Street and Monroe Drive by the Grady High School stadium. Or walk straight down 10th Street from the station along Piedmont Park to reach the trail.
- Inman Park Station – A 20-minute walk or a pleasant bike ride, exit on the Inman Park side of the station and walk past the bus bay at street level and keep walking straight ahead on Edgewood Avenue. Turn right on Elizabeth Street and walk straight ahead for about four blocks until the street dead ends at the trail.
For more information, see:
How to Ride MARTA Buses
Best of MARTA: Fun/Recreation
5 Things to See and Do at the Inman Park Station
Navigating the Midtown MARTA Station
5 Things to See and Do at the Midtown Station