Piedmont Park is one of Atlanta’s largest and nicest public parks and regularly hosts the Dogwood Festival, Atlanta Jazz Festival, Piedmont Park Arts Festival, Pride Festival, and Green Concert in addition to Unplugged in the Park (live music at the Park Tavern). The park also features playgrounds, dog park, a public swimming pool, athletic fields, running track and tennis courts (see area map).
If you are gearing up to take the train, the closest MARTA station to Piedmont Park is the Midtown Station, closely followed by the Arts Center Station.
The Arts Center Station gets you closer to the sports fields, running track, pavilions and slightly closer to the lake, pool and Saturday morning Green Market. Walking time is about 15 minutes from this station. Take the West Peachtree Street exit out of the station and turn left onto West Peachtree Street. Walk one block and turn left onto 14th Street and take that all the way to the park, about three blocks.
Or, you can exit at the Midtown Station and take 10th Street down to the park. This route will put you closer to meadow and Park Tavern. It is approximately a 10 minute walk to the edge of the park. Exit the Midtown station onto 10th Street and turn right (if you come up from the Federal Reserve station exit, turn left).
Three buses will also put you next to the park if you don’t want to walk the 10-15 minute distance from or to the train. All buses depart from the Midtown station:
- Bus 36 goes down 10th Street and onto the Highlands and Emory
- Bus 99 also goes down 10th Street and then south on Monroe Drive
- Bus 27 has a stop just outside the 14th Street park entrance and then travels on to the Botanical Garden
- It is nearly a 15 minute walk from either station to the edge of the park, so be prepared to walk and have strollers for kids.
- An ATM and a small market is on 10th Street near the park if you need cash or water/provisions for the park.
- If you exit at the Midtown station, peer into the bus bay to see if any of the buses are there. If so, hop on the bus unless you want the walking exercise. It is free to transfer to the bus from the train, just tap your Breeze card when exiting the station and again on the bus.
For more information, see:
Navigating the Arts Center Station
Navigating the Midtown Station
Midtown Station Restaurants
Arts Center Station Restaurants
5 MARTA Tips for Music Midtown
Tips for Taking MARTA to the Dogwood Festival
5 Things to See and Do at the Midtown Station
5 Things to See and Do at the Arts Center Station